NWSL news recap for January 21, 2013
Today was a pretty slow NWSL news day, however there were a few interesting facts that came out via Twitter.
- The Portland Thorns FC have surpassed 5,000 season ticket deposits for the upcoming season.
- According to her Tweet, McCall Zerboni will be playing in the NWSL this season but not disclosing the team yet. Zerboni played for the New York Flash in 2011 and scored 4 goals in 14 appearances.
- The Washington Spirit will “be revealing some big news about a certain U.S. Soccer Star & their collaboration” with the team TOMORROW at NOON (est). The did say it will not be a player signing however “AMAZING news there in a few days.”
- The NWSL Supplemental Draft is tentatively scheduled for February 6th. This is the reported “draft” that will take place after the free agent signing period that ends at the end of this month.
- Former Washington Freedom (WPS) and Western New York Flash (WPS) player Beverly Goebel will be not be playing in the NWSL this season. She will be joining INAC Kobe Leonessa.
- Looks like former USWNT and WPS player Lori Chalupny is back in the United States (and back on Twitter!). We heard a few NWSL team reps this weekend at the NSCAA mention they were looking at Chalupny as a possible free agent.
Even though the blogs and news organizations were pretty slow on the NWSL news front, there still was A LOT of activity on Twitter. Make sure to follow us on Twitter (@NWSLNews) and if you have any tips, news, questions, thoughts, etc. feel free to drop us a message.