Sorry our NWSL news recap has been MIA over the last few days but the NWSL Draft just put us behind a little more than we expected. Don’t worry though, we are back on track.
First off, here are some interesting facts that we learned this weekend in Indy for the NWSL Draft and NSCAA Convention:
– We heard that teams will have until the end of the month to sign up to four free agents before unsigned players are put into a FA draft pool.
– Along the same lines, some team representatives told use they’ve already “signed” some free agents but are waiting for the league to sign-off on the contracts.
– Teams are expected to receive a preliminary 2013 NWSL schedule this week however no word on when it will be released to the public.
– The Western New York Flash will receive $24,000 in compensation for only being allocated two USWNT players. The compensation money must be used to only sign a single player. [source]
And now on to the blog roundup … the list is pretty small as the majority of posts this weekend were geared towards NWSL Draft recaps … however with the deadline looming on free agent signings I have a feeling this is the calm before the storm:
– Equalizer Soccer discusses the limited free agency situation in the NWSL.
– Soccer Banter has a blog post by former WPS player Manya Makosi and why she is ready to play in the US again.
– The Washington Spirit opened up a “Write a letter to your favorite Washington Spirit Player” page on their website.
– US Soccer posted quotes from the first round picks in the NWSL Draft.
REMEMBER: If you read any good NWSL news that you want to share please feel free to drop us an email or Tweet us a link (@NWSLNews). The same goes for all the authors out there … if you have a new piece that was published please let us know and we’ll get it added to our nightly recaps. Helping spread women’s soccer MORE THAN ONE BLOG AT A TIME.